Friday, September 7, 2012

One less key on my keyring

I turned in my office key this morning. I didn't make a big deal of it, I just handed the key to my soon-to-be-former boss. On the outside I kept it cool, but inside I was grinning something fierce. It felt so damn good to know that in less than 8 hours, I would be free of WG and any future contact would be on my terms. I worked very hard for her for 10 years (9 years if you don't count my first year of contract employment). I put up with everything she dished out (with a couple of notable exceptions). I worked for her longer than any other employee.

And I did all of this for a less-than-market-rate salary and shitty benefits. I did all of this with minimal feedback (even though the employee handbook specifically states that each employee will get AT LEAST one yearly review). I did all of this knowing that eventually I would reach a place where there was no further advancement. I spent not a small amount of time worrying about whether or not the company would still be around in six months.

I plan to go to my new job and not talk about the old job. I've worked with people who came in to a new job and spent their first three months bitching about how awful it was at their old job. It makes you come across as unprofessional. I never want to be that person. So I have to get it all out over the weekend. I started the data dump last week, but it was hard to truly let go when I knew I'd still have to deal with WG the next day and the next and the next. But now that's over. I can start to truly decompress.

In other news, I have built myself the most awesomest sky bridge in Minecraft. It goes from one tower to another across a river and I can go between the towers without setting foot on ground. I only died 3 times while trying to get the dang thing built (falling from that high up generally is not a good thing). But now that it is complete, I am so glad I made it because it looks wicked cool from afar when the sun is rising or setting. And it's nice to be able to run over to the other tower to check on my wheat over there at night when all the zombies and things are out prowling. I used to have a pet wolf, but he died. I'm not sure how he died, but it's okay. I was leaving him at home all the time anyway. I could get another one if I wanted.

5 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are shot of that place, Abby. Onto better things... on to happier work, genuine and meaningful rewards, and less stress. You are a wise person to not gripe and complain in the new place.

    I was just watching Jamie Oliver on tv. He's a chef. His program is about food and cooking. Quite by chance his viewers got to see a Ladybug come out of its larvae cocoon stage... it was awesome! (I tell you this because I think you are a ladybug appreciating sort of person :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful blog. It's about so many up up up things. Thanks, I needed that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I happy (and a bit jealous) of you. Congrats, and all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY! And now that you've worked the bad you can go on and work the good and know you belong there, deserve that and appreciate every minute of it! Woot! :)

    I can't wait to hear how the new place is and all the exciting people and things you'll have to tell us.

    I want a skybridge from here to the corner store. it's very difficult avoiding zombies on a mad dash for smokes..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get over here to congratulate you. I hope your new job takes you on to wonderful things!

    ReplyDelete