Wednesday, August 29, 2012

An open letter to people who create drama

Dear (fill in name here):

I have some news for you. There are 7.036 billion people on Earth (that's what the US Census Bureau calculated according to the Wikipedia). Let's say you have 100 friends, that's about .0000000142% of the population. Which means that there are still OVER SEVEN BILLION people who don't give a shit about you. So the 2 or 3 people who are actually out to get you are less than a drop in the bucket. Don't waste your time dealing with them.


The only person your drama hurts is (get this) YOU. Making a stink about the one person who said something nasty to/about you only serves to keep those words in your mind. Fussing at people who care about you enough to try to help only serves to make them less patient and less willing to help you the next time. You may think to yourself "it's only one person, and they weren't my friend anyway", but that one friend quickly becomes two, then three. Soon you'll find that people you really want to have stick around are (either quietly or not so quietly) slipping away into the night.

You know who you are (actually, you probably don't, but we'll get into that in a moment). You one-up everyone's hard luck stories with one of your own. You always have a reason your life is so much worse. Your Facebook status is always something about how awful things are, or how much pain you're in, or wondering when things will get better. You insist that you don't need or want any drama in your life, but it somehow still finds you.

Remember how I said you know who you are? The truth is that you probably don't. You can see it in someone else, but not in yourself. When a friend gets sick of your crap and leaves you behind, it's always their fault and not yours. Never your fault. But it actually is your fault.

I'm not going to give you advice. You won't listen to it anyway. I'm just going to be one of the ones who quietly slips away into the night. You probably won't even notice that I've deleted you from my Facebook page. I'm sorry I couldn't feed your ego the way you needed. But there are seven billion other people on this planet. I'm sure I can find someone who wants to be a real friend to someone else instead of the center of the universe.

7 comments:

  1. Well said. Sounds like a long time coming...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if we have the same person in mind. It probably doesn't matter. When there's about to be a train wreck, it's hard not to yell, "Put on the brakes." Yet, there's a point in time when it's too late. It's still sad, but it's still too late.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure I know. You are SO right. This person probably doesn't like me now but I was as patient as I could be. :/

      Delete